Information email sent out every September
Registration starts October 1st and ends October 31st. The cost is $165 per child.
Kindergarten through 6th grade boys and girls in the Magnolia Texas area are welcome to sign up. Below are the divisions in Magnolia Basketball Association.
ï Kindergarten – K Division
ï Division 1 (D1) – 1st/2nd graders
ï Division 2 (D2) – 3rd/4th graders
ï Division 3 (D3) – 5th/6th graders
Important information below:
- Registration is open Oct 1st thru Oct 31th. http://www.magnoliabasketball.com/
- Draft Day – D2 & D3 – Skills assessment and draft - all players drafted – Saturday in November - tbd
- Practices usually begin the week after Thanksgiving. K & D1 practice one evening a week, for 90 minutes, at a local elementary or intermediate school. The practice is scheduled by the coach, either 5:30 to 7:00pm or 7:00 to 8:30pm.
- D3 only – 2 practices a week – 90 minutes – same locations
- Games are played on Saturdays, usually beginning the second Saturday in January through the end of February. The games are played at Bear Branch Intermediate/JR High and Magnolia Intermediate/JR High, alternating between East & West.
- Most teams play one 60 minute scheduled game per week, divisions with an odd number of teams can have a double header so all teams play each Saturday.
- Games started at 9:00am through 2:00pm this past season.
- We follow AAU rules, except where rules are added to stress the fundamentals of basketball, rules are posted on the website.
- A picture company is contracted to offer picture packages, usually scheduled the second Saturday once games begin.
- We are only accepting online registrations. No registrations will be accepted at Draft Day.
- We will do our best to place kids on their respective side of town but there is no guarantee.
- We are limiting all divisions to 80 kids. Each year we usually hit the limit in D2 Boys and D3 Boys.
- Trophy’s for 1st/2nd place – All Divisions
- If you are interested in coaching, you will need to register online (no cost). There is no guarantee that you will be given a team. There will be a mandatory coach’s meeting for all coaches.
- Players for K & D1 are randomly put on teams, we try to group kids by school when possible, but no guarantee.
- One Professional Referee for D3 games – also a board member and high school player
Frequently asked Questions:
1. If I have multiple children in the same division, will they be on the same team? Siblings in the same division are automatically on the same team unless you request otherwise. If you have multiple children with different last names, please request the same team in the notes.
2. What if I am unable to make the draft? Your child will be randomly placed on a team.
3. Where are the practices and games? Practices are at Magnolia Area Elementary and 6th grade campuses. Each coach will select the school and night/time for practice, so I will not know this information before the middle of November. The games are on Saturdays and alternate between Bear Branch & Magnolia JR Highs.
4. When are the practices and game? Practices are one night per week Monday to Thursday for 1.5 hours, either 5:30pm to 7:00pm or 7:00pm to 8:30pm for K, D1 and D2. D3 has two practices per week for 1.5 hours. Games are Saturdays, each game takes one hour, games start at 8:00am and run to about 4:00pm. We start with Kindergarten at 8:00am.
5. What if my child doesn’t attend Magnolia schools? Many children play in the league from surrounding areas.
6. What ages/grades play in this league? We have Kindergarten through 6th graders play in Magnolia Basketball. Typically, Kindergarten and D1 are co-ed, D2 and D3 have a separate division for boys and girls. If we have enough 1st and 2nd grade girls, then D1 girls stands alone as a division.
7. My child was held back or skipped a grade, which division can he/she register under? Please contact me with specific information, we follow AAU rules for ages when these situations arise.
8. My child is big for his age, or very talented and I would like him/her to play up a division, is that possible? We have kids play up a division for several reasons, please contact me to discuss your situation.
9. How many kids per team? It varies, but we typically have 7 to 9 players per team. It really depends on how many kids sign up and the number of teams in a division. Occasionally we have teams with 6 or even 10 players, but we try to avoid that if possible.
10. How will my child perform when it’s his/her first year to play? This is a developmental league, we have rules on playtime as well as rules that encourage the basics of the game, especially with the younger players. That said, we have many kids every year that have never played basketball before and others with several years of experience.
11. How do I register as a coach? To register as a coach, look for the coaches “division” with the rest of the players registration. Everyone that wishes to coach needs to fill out the registration details. If you are looking to be an assistant coach, please put whom you wish to coach with in the notes.
12. If I coach a team, are my kids automatically on my team? Yes
13. If I coach a D2 and D3 team, do I need to attend both coach’s meetings? No, the two meetings are scheduled for your convenience. Only one meeting needs to be attended.
14. I coach every year; do I still need to attend a coach’s meeting? Yes, we are required to run a background check each year on coach’s and assistance coach’s.
15. We don’t have kids playing anymore, but enjoy coaching, can we still coach a team? Yes, absolutely.